Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission.
Through its Emergency Response Department (ERD), created in 2006 after the merge with Atlas Logistique, the organization is committed to:
– Emergency livelihoods : Essential Household Items (EHI)/Non-food items (NFI) kits distribution and/or cash transfer programs
– Management and distribution of humanitarian assistance (logistics platform) : land transportation, storage, post-shipment of essential items or food supplies;
– Camp management (provision of aid to refugees and internally displaced persons – IDPs, setting up of transitional shelters) and arrangement of the voluntary repatriation of these people;
– Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH) : access to drinking water (catchment – treatment – storage – distribution), to sanitation (latrine construction, waste management …) and hygiene promotion (disease vector control, awareness-raising on good WASH practice, hygiene kits distribution);
– Shelter and community construction: emergency shelter and settlement, accessible community infrastructure and individual transitional shelters construction/rehabilitation;
– Functional and physical rehabilitation (rehabilitation, provision of technical aids, of Prosthetics & Orthotics devices …);
– Psychosocial support (one-on-one sessions, support/focus groups, therapeutic mediation groups …);
– Inclusion and accessibility (advocacy and direct actions) to ensure the needs of persons excluded from services, and in particular the needs of persons with disabilities (PwDs) or persons with injuries (PwIs), are better addressed in the provision of humanitarian assistance.
Directly linked to the Emergency Response Department of Handicap International France, the expatriate will be mandated for the following mission:
During the last few weeks, the semi-autonomous Kurdish region of Iraq has been targeted by the militants of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). As a result of the civil war raging in Syria, ISIL was able to use Western Syria as a safe haven to lead an audacious campaign into Iraq. In August 2014, ISIL encroachment in Iraq reached a new threshold when it attacked Kurdish cities North of Mosul and in the Sinjar area, causing thousands to flee the persecutions. Meanwhile, the Kurdish security forces, the Peshmargas, proved unable to defend the territories it had control over. The crisis reached a climax in August when ISIL took control of Mosul’s dam. Starting Friday 8th, the US Air Force conducted a series of air strikes on ISIL positions in Iraq. A few days later, the UN raised the emergency level of the crisis in Northern Iraq to its maximum level. Subsequently, Handicap International took measures to address the current crisis in Northern Iraq.
Handicap International has been working in Iraqi Kurdistan since 1991. It also has a significant experience working in neighboring countries with refugees who fled the Syrian civil war. Handicap International has proved to be a valuable actor in bringing in its expertise to alleviate the situation of the refugees, and provide relief to affected populations in the region.
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES OF THE EXPATRIATE
The expatriate will be under the responsibility and the line management of the HoM with the technical support of the Head of Safety and Security Unit at HQ level. Within the framework of developing an overall safety and security strategy in Iraq, he/she will be in charge of:
MAIN TASKS OF THE EXPATRIATE
Gain a thorough understanding on safety and security issues in Iraq and develop an effective and efficient security related information collection.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATIONAL CHART
Under the hierarchical supervision of: Head of mission
Under the technical supervision of: Headquarters’ technical referents
Technical support to: Project Manager, Project Officer, Team leaders and other officers on technical-related issues.
|Qualité du candidat||
|Localisation(s) géographique(s)||Irak, Moyen Orient|
|Durée du contrat||2 months|
|Salaire / Indemnité||JOB CONDITIONS
|Nom de la personne contact||Valérie BABE|
|Postuler en ligne||http://hi.profilsearch.com/recrute/fr/fo_annonce_voir.php?id=577&idpartenaire=130|
|Date de fin de validité||31/10/2014|