Position: Area Coordinator – Uganda
Contract duration: 6 months
Location: Karamoja – Uganda
Starting Date: Immediate
- Background on ACTED
ACTED is an independent international, private, non-partisan and non-profit organization that operates according to principles of strict neutrality, political and religious impartiality, and non discrimination.
ACTED was created in 1993 to support populations affected by the conflict in Afghanistan. Based in Paris, France, ACTED now operates in 32 countries worldwide, with over 200 international and 4000 national staff. ACTED has a 110 million € budget for over 370 projects spanning 8 sectors of intervention; including emergency relief, food security, health promotion, economic development, education & training, microfinance, local governance & institutional support, and cultural promotion.
For more information, please visit our website at www.acted.org.
- Country Profile
Capital Office : Kampala
National Staff : 108
International Staff : 7
Areas : 2 (Northern Uganda, Karamoja)
On-going programmes : 9
Budget : 2.4 M €
ACTED has been active in Uganda since May 2007, both in the northern region and Karamoja. In the North, ACTED supports the early recovery process with a specific focus on the needs of returning populations displaced by years of conflict. It also expands access, retention, equity and quality of primary education. In Karamoja, the focus is enhanced food security and resilience to disasters, especially droughts, as well as improving the primary education sector.
ACTED focuses its intervention on strengthening livelihoods through improved resource management, conflict mitigation and capacity building. In Northern Uganda, as internally displaced persons (IDPs) have returned home and gained access to land, ACTED is working with farmers on infrastructure and capacity development to rebuild agricultural livelihoods. In the Karamoja/Pokot area, ACTED responds to severe food insecurity caused by the drought in the Horn of Africa, providing support to agro-pastoral communities to increase their purchasing power and protect their assets, reducing vulnerability to natural disasters. As part of its integrated cross-border strategy between Uganda and Kenya, ACTED maintains its community-driven disaster risk reduction (DRR) focus and promotes conflict mitigation to ensure peaceful and sustainable access to shared resources.
In 2013, ACTED maintains a strong focus on this approach and looks at extending it further along the border with Kenya. ACTED continues working with community-level structures and initiatives such as the APFS, the CDMCs or the DEWS to continue building the communities’ resilience to disasters.
III. Job Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Country Coordinator, key responsibilities will include:
• Management of a local and expatriate staff team;
• Close supervision and monitoring of the finance, administration and logistics teams;
• Supervise program budgets and evaluate financial program effectiveness;
• Management and supervision of ACTED’s programmes in Karamoja/Pokot North and their timely implementation according to financial and programmatic frame;
• Facilitate program development, through conceptualization, design, proposal and program initiation;
• Build and/or improve systems to supervise and manage the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of programmes;
• Monitor security situation in the region and oversee implementation of ACTED security procedures;
• Internal reporting to Country Coordination;
• Demonstrate vision and leadership in building a coherent strategic direction for the area, in line with ACTED Uganda’s overall strategy;
• Liaison with all external stakeholders: donors, partners, the government, including local authorities, and communities;
• To advocate for our beneficiaries and ensure that their interests are taken into consideration by all external stakeholders.
• To act as a catalyst with all stakeholders to coordinate existing and new programmes;
• Facilitation of needs assessment;
• Fundraising and project/proposal development;
• To ensure external reporting requirements for projects are met.
IV. Qualifications required
- A) Essential
• At least 3 years of field experience in program management and coordination;
• Familiarity with the aid system, and ability to understand donor and governmental requirements;
• Excellent communication and writing skills;
• Able to coordinate and manage staff and project activities;
• Strong organizational and supervisory skills;
• Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office;
• Being a strong team player and adept at creating a strong team spirit;
• Ability to organize and plan effectively;
• Ability to work with culturally diverse groups of people;
• Ability to travel and work in difficult conditions and under pressure;
• Experience in conflict affected areas and difficult living conditions, ideally in Africa
• Knowledge on issues related to early recovery, IGA and/or infrastructure rehabilitation
– Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
– Additional monthly living allowance
– Free food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
– Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
– Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
- Submission of applications:
Please send, in English, your cover letter, CV, and three references to [email protected]
Ref : AC/UG/SA
Att: Human Resources Department
33, rue Godot de Mauroy
For more information, visit us at http://www.acted.org
Fonctions Coordination, Gestion de projet, Encadrement,
Direction Activités Autre
Localisation(s) géographique(s) Ouganda
Date de fin de validité 31/03/2015